Skip to main content

To The Edge And Back



So I wanted to write about something else personal to me.

For most who know me, they will have known that for the last 10 years or so, I have been straight edge.
For people who don't know what that means, basically straight edge is a practice originally started by the hardcore punk scene that sees purveyors abstain from drinking, smoking or drug use, in its most basic form.

I was straight edge for quite a long time, up until recently, when I decided to break my edge and partake in alcohol.
It has not been something I've taken lightly, I'd built a large chunk of my adult life on being straight edge and living clean.

I realised just recently though that you can remain who you want to be, regardless of whether you subscribe to a lifestyle or not.
Personally I was never the biggest drinker and probably never will be, truth is though that you do miss out on many social interactions and experiences by somewhat standing on the sidelines.
My brother was particularly helpful, asking why I felt the need to be defined by a title.. If i chose not to drink for a year but then wanted a beer, why should I deny what i want simply to be a title? I still respect the people representing the straight edge life style, the people that have reason to, or have chosen to, I will never knock their choices.
The road here has not been easy, I weighed up both sides before making a choice I felt happy with, to most people it doesn't seem a big deal but when you stick to something for a third of your life it requires dedication.. a dedication I no longer have to it.

I'd never judged people that did drink or ever preached my views, I think over time my mindframe has altered and although I may choose to partake now, I do not regret my years without, it was right for me at that time.
I am long overdue for a drink with many of you.. perhaps over the summer we can remedy that, there is certainly 1 or 2 names on my list to get a little tipsy with, but I'm sure they know who they are.
Its funny how time and situations can change your view point, I see this as a small evolution in me, and am keeping an open mind as to how it will go.

I am, and will forever be, the same me I have always been. In the grand scheme of things, this changes nothing, but to me is a huge change.
I wanted to address the subject not because I felt the need to justify my choices, simply to state my thoughts about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2017

So as usual I'm doing my year in review summery. 2017 has been an interesting year for me, in terms of growth, challenges and learning more about myself. Its been a year that at times has been difficult, but I feel like the things have been difficult in order to provide me with a stronger outlook and resolve heading into 2018. Life does have a interesting way of balancing itself, although bad happens eventually good will always rise up to equal it. I've met some amazing new people this year too. People that although I haven't known long, I am very grateful for their presence in my life. I feel very happy to have each and every person who has spent time with me or talking to me this year. You all know who you are and we all have great times to come. I broke straight edge after 10 years, something that was a big thing for me, an evolution of sorts. I've also added more tattoos to my body, which will continue next year too I have taken in some amazing gigs thi

Spotlight: Candyfloss

My spotlight series returns, this time to introduce you to one of UK's brightest new stars, Candyfloss. Candyfloss is one of my favourite new talents here in the UK. The London native is a regular on the UK independent scene, plying her trade up and down the country and making new fans wherever she goes. Debuting a mere year ago, she has grown in leaps and bounds already having great showings against Dahlia Black, Jinny and Little Miss Roxxy. By all means don't let her happy go lucky attitude and sweet name fool you, this girl can go in the ring, happily mixing up her style to utilise high flying, solid ground work or her Candy Cane cross arm breaker submission. Candyfloss was trained through one of the UK's finest companies, PROGRESS, whom she also works for. Her time at the ProJo shows, she is excelling rapidly and is turning more than a few heads and I think that international talent will start to look to Candyfloss for matches shortly. At a time where womens w

IT (Chapter 1) Review

[The following review may contain spoilers] So reviewing a film is difficult, gush and risk overdoing it, but under do it and it leads to indifference. Let me start this review by saying, IT is absolutely 100% fantastic. Currently for me, my film of the year. Growing up, my mum read a lot of Stephen King books, and so I found the book IT at a younger age. Upon reading i was immersed in this dark cloud covered Derry community, plagued by a recurring shapeshifting nightmare. The book became one of my favourites. This however lead to a problem, the miniseries version of IT starring Tim Curry.. I didn't like it at all. Although Tim Curry and Co did a great job with the tools at their disposal, this version did not fit with the Derry and Pennywise I had in my head. Skip forward to 2017 and welcome to Derry, Maine.. A picture esque quaint town with a terrible millenia old evil living benethe it. Director Andy Muschietti breathes new life into a horror classic creating somethi