Skip to main content

[Caught Live] There Is No Dana @ Chinnerys Southend 05/05/17


Caught Live: There Is No Dana @ Chinnerys, Southend, 05/05/17

Chinnerys is a venue local to me, I've been there hundreds of times, seen some amazing bands and this particular time was no different.

Essex 4 piece There Is No Dana are a pop punk band, they are energetic, slick and with 3 capable vocalists who unite to provide us with soaring 3 way harmonies, they sit somewhere style-wise between Midtown and The Starting Line.
Now we all know pop punk is a lost art here in the UK, bands like There Is No Dana reaffirm my faith in that we in the UK can provide amazing sun laden melody rich bands.

From their excellent Ghostbusters led intro soundbite (Bill Murray pleading with Sigourney Weaver 'I'd like to speak to Dana' met with 'There is no Dana'...genius) leading into high octane opener 'Song 8'.
There Is No Dana are the kind of pop punk band that remind me of summers past, when I spent my time hanging out with my friends, chasing girls we'd never get and feeling like those times would last forever. Its because of that glorious nostalgia the band create, paying homage to the bands pop punk fans grew up loving, whilst putting their own spin on the sound to marvellous effect.

Songs like 'Now or Never' and  'Won't Let Go' are built with choruses that will get lodged in your head for days, they mix crunchy guitars, smooth bass lines, and strong drums with wonderful sun kissed vocals to create excellent songs that really show this band have high ambitions.
I think that there is a gap in the market for a band like this, clearly they agree by doing what they do with complete aplomb.

They do shift tones though, the song 'Clover' is a more slow building song but with as good a chorus as the band have created, it shows that although highly energetic the band are constantly pushing to evolve their song writing and still create fantastic addictive songs.
Set closer 'Surrender' is a killer way to finish a show, a huge song, anthemic in nature that bounces and pushes its way into the crowd and leaves a massive impression. Its a brilliant song that lets charismatic frontman Tristan's vocals really shine, layered against equally soaring backing vocals.

I love this band and see big things to come for them, a hard working band with a knack for creating awesome songs with choruses to die for. An EP is due out soon, which personally I cannot wait to hear.
Check them out immediately!

Find them here:
https://m.facebook.com/thereisnodana
Twitter: @thereisnodanauk

Live at:
Schpunk Romford - 19/05/17
Water Rats, London - 09/06/17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2017

So as usual I'm doing my year in review summery. 2017 has been an interesting year for me, in terms of growth, challenges and learning more about myself. Its been a year that at times has been difficult, but I feel like the things have been difficult in order to provide me with a stronger outlook and resolve heading into 2018. Life does have a interesting way of balancing itself, although bad happens eventually good will always rise up to equal it. I've met some amazing new people this year too. People that although I haven't known long, I am very grateful for their presence in my life. I feel very happy to have each and every person who has spent time with me or talking to me this year. You all know who you are and we all have great times to come. I broke straight edge after 10 years, something that was a big thing for me, an evolution of sorts. I've also added more tattoos to my body, which will continue next year too I have taken in some amazing gigs thi

IT (Chapter 1) Review

[The following review may contain spoilers] So reviewing a film is difficult, gush and risk overdoing it, but under do it and it leads to indifference. Let me start this review by saying, IT is absolutely 100% fantastic. Currently for me, my film of the year. Growing up, my mum read a lot of Stephen King books, and so I found the book IT at a younger age. Upon reading i was immersed in this dark cloud covered Derry community, plagued by a recurring shapeshifting nightmare. The book became one of my favourites. This however lead to a problem, the miniseries version of IT starring Tim Curry.. I didn't like it at all. Although Tim Curry and Co did a great job with the tools at their disposal, this version did not fit with the Derry and Pennywise I had in my head. Skip forward to 2017 and welcome to Derry, Maine.. A picture esque quaint town with a terrible millenia old evil living benethe it. Director Andy Muschietti breathes new life into a horror classic creating somethi

Spotlight: Candyfloss

My spotlight series returns, this time to introduce you to one of UK's brightest new stars, Candyfloss. Candyfloss is one of my favourite new talents here in the UK. The London native is a regular on the UK independent scene, plying her trade up and down the country and making new fans wherever she goes. Debuting a mere year ago, she has grown in leaps and bounds already having great showings against Dahlia Black, Jinny and Little Miss Roxxy. By all means don't let her happy go lucky attitude and sweet name fool you, this girl can go in the ring, happily mixing up her style to utilise high flying, solid ground work or her Candy Cane cross arm breaker submission. Candyfloss was trained through one of the UK's finest companies, PROGRESS, whom she also works for. Her time at the ProJo shows, she is excelling rapidly and is turning more than a few heads and I think that international talent will start to look to Candyfloss for matches shortly. At a time where womens w